God has offered me opportunities...
I spent a number of years homeless on the streets...then one day I asked God for help, in my own fashion, and God did. God speaks to me, not with words, with feelings and gentle intuitive nudges towards the opportunity that I need in order to line up more with his Grace and less with my selfish will.
Today on my way into a neighboring town I drove past a man who looked to be carrying all of his worldly belongings... it's hot out. As I drove past the thought of stopping and offering him a ride came to me, I dismissed it with a number of excuses. That didn't feel good, it was a subtle and gentle feeling of disquiet but it was there.
As I continued down the highway I told myself that I would offer the man a ride if he was still walking when I made my way back home.
While in that neighboring town I had an interaction with a store owner that pissed me off. In some way I feel that the man ripped me off. The how, why, and what of that situation aren't important, even though at the time I sure fucking felt like they were. Let's just say that I was fucking pissed. Getting back in my truck I decided that I was going to write a review letting others know that that particular person is greedy and stupid. I would have written it right then, but it was hot and the truck doesn't have AC so I decided to write it when I got home.
Driving back down that same highway, stewing and planning my scathing review, I saw the man still trudging down the road carrying his life on his shoulders. This time I stopped, turned around, and pulled up next to him with an offer of a ride which he accepted.
While driving back to the town I had just left, making small talk with the man whose name is James, I decided that at the truck stop I was dropping him off at I was going to offer him something to eat and drink if he would accept it...I offered, he accepted.
We parted ways with a thank you from James, and a you're welcome God bless you from me.
I made my way home back down that very same highway. The feeling of disquiet was gone, I was no longer pissed off.
God offers me opportunities to be a better man, how I feel inside is dependent on wether I avail myself of those opportunities.
Wander © 26
No comments:
Post a Comment